Saturday 24 January 2015

This 25-Year-Old Makes £2.6Million From Playing Video Games

If YouTube king PewDiePie’s subscribers formed a country, it would be more populous than Greece, Hungary and Sweden combined.
With 4.1billion hits and 33million subscribers, video game commentator Felix Kjellberg has the most viewed channel of all time.
And the 25-year-old Swede, who lives in Brighton, rakes in £2.6million a year almost entirely from advertising (I bet you wished you’d stuck you’d kept your N64 now) but once dropped out of an industrial engineering course to the anger of his parents.
‘I noticed that I had nothing in common with the rest of the people in the programme,’ PewDiePie told Icon magazine’s Maria Lindholm.

‘They all wanted to make a business career, to become CEO’s and stuff like that, something I had no interest in what so ever. So I dropped out.’
He told Swedish Radio: ‘Dropping the news to my parents that I was skipping my “dream education” at Chalmers to sit at home recording videos while playing video-games was not easy.
‘My parents said that sitting at home playing video-games all day won´t bring you anywhere in life.’
The Gothenburg-born gamer has used his internet fame to raise over £660,000 for charities such as Save the Children, WorldWildlifeFund and charity:water.

And he says his relationship with his fans is more akin to friendship than anything else.
‘Being in the spotlight isn’t for me,’ he said in a Q & A with fans.
‘In many ways I’d prefer if my channel was small.’
For every Mario, there’s a Peach:
PewDiePie lives with Italian girlfriend Marzia Bisognin – a hugely popular YouTube videographer in her own right.

Follow Me On Twitter & Instagram@effiongeton

No comments:

Post a Comment