Monday 9 December 2013

It’s 'NO' Big Deal Acting Nude – Cross River Nollywood Star, Martina Obi

Sleek and beautiful Martina Kaka Obi is a household name in Nollywood. She has featured in many movies and soap operas. She is an actress who loves what she does with passion. This diva tells Adaeze Amos in this interview that there is no big deal about nudity in movies.
Besides being an actress, what more do you think that needs to be known about Martina Kaka Obi?
I’m an actress, a model and a TV personality. I’m from Cross River State, Ogoja to be precise. I’m from a family of seven, five boys and two girls but unfortunately I lost my elder sister sometimes ago. I studied Mass Communication. I’m a calm person, down to earth and an easygoing lady.

When did you start acting and why?
I didn’t start acting from my mother’s womb as some people are fond of saying. I started from church, St John the Evangelist Catholic Church in Ikeja, Lagos, eight years ago. I was living in the Ikeja GRA. Acting is a passion for me; it’s something that is within me. It gives me joy. I act not just for the money but because I’m happy that I’m acting. It gives me joy really, I’m having fun. I started with little dramas, then we did Gods are not to blame, Mad House, Wedlocks of widowhood; there were so many of them. I was given a part to play. I did it to the best of my knowledge and the producer was like wow, he thinks I have something inside that I really have to follow and that he was sure I would make it big if I ventured into fulltime acting. That was how I started from stage drama, and I ventured into movies. I did House Arrest. That was my very first movie and I played alongside Nkem Owoh, Empress Njamah and some other big names in Nollywood.
How was it during your first time on set?
I was actually shaking on that first time on set. But it was fun. After ‘House Arrest’ I did ‘Sister’s Act’ and some others and roles have been flowing in since eight years ago that I started.
Apart from these two movies you have mentioned, what others have you featured in?
Other movies I have done so far are Mixed Faith, Emmanuela, Mixed Choice, Saint Mary and then the rest are soap operas and two of them are currently running now. I have also worked with Wale Adenuga on ‘Super Story’ and the soap opera entitled Because He Loves You, which was his first soap opera that I featured in. After that, I did Fatherly Love for Adenuga as well. After that, I did Middle Eye which I’m still one of the lead characters; this is also running now. I also featured in Girls Next Door which is airing now also. I did Tales of Eva.
Which movie brought you into the limelight?
The one that gave me popularity that I’m still savouring is a series of soap operas entitled Needle’s Eye. Then also ‘Because You Love Me’ brought me out.
Have you ever taken up a romance role?
Yes, I have, in a movie entitled Tendency. For me to flow well with an actor in romance movies, he has to be a handsome guy. Honestly, the professional part of it is that whether you admire the person or not, you should be able to play along with him because in acting you have to hide yourself and wear another person’s character. But to make it easier for me in romance movies, it has to be somebody whose chemistry jells with mine. This is true because chemistry works on stage or on set It makes it easier if the person is also the kind of guy I can date in real life. This happened to me in a movie entitled Finished Choice. The guy that played my husband happened to be my boyfriend in the past; he was someone I had loved. It was very easy to interpret that role because it was as if I was with my husband. I was free with him, running around with him and he too was free. In fact, the chemistry was there. The producer didn’t know we had dated before but at some point he knew and asked us if we had known ourselves before. He said what we were doing was more than acting because even when they say cut, we still continued holding hands, talked and laughed together. In that movie, we kissed but it wasn’t deep anyway.
Who are the guys in the movie world you would love to be paired with in romance roles?
For me, I like Richard Mofe Damijo, fondly known as RMD; he is someone I think I will feel free with. I also like Majid, the Ghana guy. I’m waiting for when we will be paired. I would love that because he is a professional. I like him already and I think I’m going to be free with him. There are many of them like that in Nigeria. I like Emeka Ike, he is cute. I like Ramsey Noah. Oh my God I just remembered one person now, I like Chidi Mokeme, I like him anytime, any day. Those are the guys I would be free to interpret romance roles with. But romance or not I will like to play with them on set.
If you are asked to go nude and you are offered a large amount, would you turn it down?
For Martina Obi, I personally don’t have problem with nudity but the home I’m coming from, I would not like to go completely nude on screen because of my family. It’s not as if it is a big deal to go nude in movies. Those that do that are professionals. The decision depends on you. If you are on set and they say you have to appear nude just as I was on set and the producer asked me if I could wear bikini, some would say no, I can’t; then why are you in the business. I have done a movie where I wore a bikini; I have also done bum shorts before in a movie and I was really okay with it and I owe nobody any apologies on that. I have also interpreted the role of a prostitute, because people really want to know how those our sisters out there are faring, they are also human beings. They are living a kind of life that depicts survival of the fittest. It’s not as if I’m encouraging what they are doing but somebody has to tell the story by interpreting the role well, and that I have done. Some people would say I can’t act this or that. That is not the same thing with me. Any role you give me, I will accept and interpret it well.
In all your years in Nollywood, has any scandalous story ever been written about you?
To the glory of God, there has been none so far. I remember one TV series I did, titled Comfort Zone by Emeka Ossai, some people said I slept with the producer to get the role. I never did that. Let me tell you, Ossai is a professional and he would not at anytime sleep with a girl just to give her a role. If you are good he will give you, and that is the way it is. He did not sleep with me to give me a role in Comfort Zone. I swear he did not, he did not even ask me out. He has never for once told me, Martina come and meet me somewhere. When I heard it, I was just laughing. I know people would talk. I won’t stop them from talking. I felt bad about the gossip but I didn’t cry because it never happened. Come to think of it, if you like or admire a director or a movie producer and want a relationship with him, what is the big deal about that? So long as you are not doing it for him to give you a role. If I want to date a producer, I think I’m mature enough to do so.
But have you had a relationship with Emeka Ossai before?
No, I have not done that with him but I respect him a lot. He is like an uncle to me. I go to him strictly on business and he accepts me that way and that is why I like him.
Has your friend ever snatched your boyfriend from you?
Nobody has done that to me. But I have had my own share of heartbreak. When my friend ditched me, I cried my eyes sore because I was thinking that was my own last bus stop when it comes to a relationship. I have had my own difficult time and when it happened I was asking myself what the girl had that I didn’t have.
Did someone come later to help you heal your broken heart?
Yes, someone actually came. But you see, I was scared having had heartbreak from someone I trusted. I wasn’t free with him. I found it difficult trusting him, I was being careful so that he doesn’t break my heart. Till date, I find it difficult to trust a guy wholeheartedly.

Culled from National Mirror

Follow Me On Twitter & Instagram: @effiongeton

No comments:

Post a Comment