Monday 2 September 2013

"Quiet Moments Recharge Me" - Alicia Keys


In an interview with Maranda Pleasant, Grammy award winning artiste, Alicia Keys reveal that its the quiet moments that recharge and inspire her to do more and remain creative. 

AK: Quiet moments recharge me. Writing in my journal keeps me focused on my spirit and what I need or feel. Listening to great music and art inspires me and recharges me. I’ve learned that one of my greatest secrets is scheduling downtime into a busy schedule. This gives me the time to have quality moments with my husband and son, who both recharge my spirit in ways I never imagined.

Maranda Pleasant: What inspires you?
Alicia Keys: Many things inspire me. First and foremost, my family, my husband and our son, Egypt. I find that the love we share fills me up and makes me see and appreciate life in a different way. I’m also inspired by many of my friends, colleagues and the extraordinary people I’ve been fortunate enough to meet along the way. Through my organization, Keep a Child Alive, I’ve met many young women who are HIV positive and courageously fighting the disease. Their determination to live a full life and see their children live in a better world is deeply inspiring to me. Artists and musicians inspire me. There are so many wonderful and talented people in the world. I love discovering new music, new writers, or new art.
MP: How do you stay centered?
AK: I pray. I pray before everything. When I wake up, before I eat, before I perform, before I go to sleep, in the moments I need guidance. I pray to give thanks and to recognize all the good things that are in my life even during times of great change, confusion, or frustration. Prayer keeps me centered.

MP: What do you do with emotional pain?
AK: I’ve always expressed myself best through writing. I’ve gotten out all of my deepest feelings that way for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I just sweat it out by running or boxing. When I really need it, talking is the best way to deal with emotional pain.

You can read the complete interview here

No comments:

Post a Comment