Plot your progress against the typical relationship timeline.......
A SURVEY of over 2,000 people has revealed the definitive dating milestones in any relationship and when you should expect to reach them.
If you’re wondering when the ‘right’ time is to tell that special someone how much you love them or if you’re nervous about introducing a partner to your parents then this relationship timeline could help.
The survey, by dating giant match.com, has mapped out the relationship journey of the average Brit.
They found that whilst 31% of us claim we would snog a date immediately, 34% would wait between one and two weeks before holding hands with someone.
Meanwhile, 27% of us wait between one and two weeks to sleep with a partner, whilst another 23% would wait one month.
The majority would introduce a potential partner to their best friend within the first month, but only a third of us would undress with the lights on one month in.
Meanwhile, toothbrushes are commonly left at a partners place at around the 6 month mark.
Other key milestones are documented in the definitive relationship timeline below:
- Saying ‘I love you’: 144 days
- Updating your Facebook relationship status: 157 days
- The first argument: 170 days
- Revealing your imperfections and introducing your parents: 173 days
- Spending the night away together: Seven months/204 days
- Going on holiday together: Ten months/298 days
- Engagement: Two years/743 days
- Marriage: Three years/ 1,190 days
- Starting a family: Four years/1,422 days
Kate Taylor, dating expert for Match, said: “While each relationship moves at its own pace, daters are often reassured by comparing their experiences with others’.
“We all ask our friends, ‘When did you know your partner was The One?’ or, ‘How long did you wait before you kissed?’
“If your relationship isn’t falling within these time frames, use them to adjust your expectations.”