Monday 6 July 2015

I’m Not Vain in Anyway - Modupe Ozolua

Over a decade ago, Modupe Ozolua, took the beauty scene by storm when she pioneered cosmetic surgery in Nigeria. To some extent a controversial enterprise at the time, once the uproar it generated subsided the enthusiastic entrepreneur thrived.
   Recalling how she weathered the storm, Ozolua says, “I became synonymous with plastic surgery in Nigeria, which led both privileged and underprivileged persons to my offices. I have a way making extremely difficult circumstances appear easy, but that is due to my philosophy. If you work hard, you will be rewarded.
“The obsession with self-improvement also applies to our physical appearance. That’s why people want to lose weight, eat healthy and undergo cosmetic surgery so they can look good. As long as that remains in our DNA, there will always be gyms for people to exercise and more cosmetic surgical treatments will take place.”
Today, the 41-year-old philanthropist is of the opinion that more Nigerians are now open to having cosmetic and reconstructive surgery, unlike what obtained when she started out.

“Things have definitely changed and there is a remarkable improvement since I pioneered cosmetic surgery in 2001,” she notes.
“You would be amazed at how people have become experts at it, even better than those of us in the medical sector! The drive to be our best, emotionally, financially, spiritually and physically keeps us yearning for more, thus making people consider more options to perk up their bodies.
“The drive is higher when all other options such as going on a diet and exercising fail. It’s human nature to wish for more and be better. There is nothing wrong with that. If you are considering cosmetic surgery, do it! As long as you are certified medically fit to undergo any type of surgery and you need it; why not?” she states in a firm tone.
   Asides running BEARS Foundation, now called Body Enhancement Foundation, Ozolua, who describes herself as a workaholic, is preoccupied with charitable activities these days.
She channels her time and resources to rehabilitating women and children in Nigeria who have been displaced due to the activities of Boko Haram.
She reveals, “Our focus is not to give them relief but to rehabilitate them. In Gombe State, we rehabilitated women in two camps after conducting a survey. We gave them sewing machines; money for petty trade, fabrics to trade, paid their rent, gave items needed for local food processing, clothing, food and we also gave out toys to the children.
“In Yola, Adamawa State, we set up a school for 501 internally displaced children. We gave them uniforms, shoes, writing materials and employed the teachers amongst the displaced Nigerians at the camp who we now pay monthly to coach the children.”
Insisting she isn’t trying to impress anyone with her charitable acts; Ozolua recounts a fear-provoking experience during one of her journeys to the North. “Hours after we gave out items to the displaced persons in Gombe, Boko Haram invaded the city and it was a surreal experience! The terrified natives called us crying. I could hear bombs from the Nigerian Air Forces fighter planes fighting back the terrorists going off,” she recalls.

Notwithstanding the volatile nature of certain areas in northern Nigeria, Ozolua says there is no stopping the initiative.
On how she funds these causes, she says, “Body Enhancement Limited and my other businesses are the major sponsors of our humanitarian activities. We have an official partnership with the Nigeria Customs Service; they give us food items and relief materials to give away at our discretion.
“Another company supports us with medication to give to the poor; but that’s not enough to accomplish all the programs we have to do. Individuals come forward with donations but like Oliver Twist, we need more than we are already getting because these programmes are capital intensive.”
A doting mother to a son whom she describes as her biggest fan, Ozolua, who dislikes been described as a cosmetologist, has a royal ancestry which she does not like to flaunt. She would rather not describe herself as a princess.
“I am Ozolua, meaning I am a princess from the Benin. My ancestor, Oba Ozolua was the Oba of Benin when the Portuguese came to trade in Benin centuries ago. I guess the manner the title princess has been cheapened is a major turn-off to me.
“It’s a title, it does not make me who I am; but I cannot run away from my royal bloodline. My mother was a princess from the Otaru family of Ososo, Akoko Edo Local Government Area; but people who remember the history of my family name call me a princess even when I don’t make reference to it,” she notes.
At age 17, Ozolua, then a student of Southwestern College, San Diego, California had already begun working at McDonalds in America. She says she imbibed the virtues of hard-work and dedication as a staff of the fast-food chain.
A graduate of Graphic Design and Business Administration at Devery International University, Los Angeles, California in the US, having lost her mother and gone through a divorce, she returned to Nigeria in 2001.
So how did she pull through those trying moments? “I threw myself into making Body Enhancement Foundation the global brand it is now. I was also blessed to spend time with my father before he died four years later. That was a tremendous loss to me because I was a daddy’s girl. I am closer to the men in my life as opposed to the women. Of course, with love and support from my son, friends and family, we all got through the rough times together,” she says.
Blessed with an amazing skin and good looks, Ozolua, who is the youngest of four siblings, admits to not being superficial or vain.
She says, “Despite my appearance or what perception people have of me, those that know me are aware that I am not one of those women that spend excess time on their appearance.
Some people obviously jumped to their conclusion because of the services offered at Body Enhancement Ltd. Of course there is nothing wrong with women taking time to groom their bodies, I take very good care of myself, but that should not be misconstrued.’’
Describing her beauty regimen as pretty much basic, the social entrepreneur who once toyed with the idea of becoming a doctor, says, “I just apply mascara; eye pencil and lip-gloss then run out the door! I don’t even have the patience to apply foundation!
“Why do you think I braid my hair all the time? I have long and curly hair which is natural. The humidity in Nigeria doesn’t go very well with it and as such, I don’t wear weaves. The only option I have when my hair isn’t let down, is braids because of the convenience attached to it.
In between her busy schedule, Ozolua still finds time for her first love-cosmetic surgery.
“My involvement in our humanitarian activities does not prevent our cosmetic procedures from holding; after all I am not the surgeon undertaking the procedures. Although I must admit it does keep me out of the office much more than I envisaged, we are still on schedule,” she notes.

Punch.

Follow Me On Twitter & Instagram@effiongeton

No comments:

Post a Comment