Thursday 24 September 2015

Woman Awarded $40,000 After Officer Tickets Her For Having HIV

A Dearborn, Michigan officer’s discriminatory practices has cost the city $40,000 in damages.
According to The Detroit Free Press, Shalandra Jones was berated by Officer David Lacey in January 2012 for not telling him early in a traffic stop that she had HIV.
According to dash cam video Officer Lacey yelled at Jones, who was not legally required to tell him about her diagnosis, because he “wasn’t wearing any gloves” and worried he’d contract the disease.
Jones told the officer she had HIV after he asked her about medication in her car that she uses to treat HIV.

He ended up ticketing her on a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge; she had a marijuana medical card, but it had expired. The charge was dismissed last year.
After finding out Jones had HIV, Lacey said: “You just made me mad.”
Lacey said he “did not want to take any diseases home to his family.” The officer added that “Dearborn does not have that many people living with HIV, and the police do not like people with HIV.”
Lacey then said to Jones: “Honestly, if it wasn’t for that, I don’t think I would have wrote anybody for anything. But that kind of really aggravated me, you know what I mean? You got to tell me right away. … Because at that time, I wasn’t wearing any gloves.”
He then seemed to hint at harming suspects who did not immediately disclose their medical history.
“So that way we don’t get pissed. Cause otherwise we get pissed. Bad things happen,” he said. “I found a needle on a guy once and he didn’t tell me. … He’s not going to forget anymore.”

Follow Me On Twitter & Instagram@effiongeton

1 comment:

  1. I am from UK, I was diagnosed of ALS disease (Lou Gehrig’s disease) in 2010 and I have tried all I could to get cured but all to no avail, my

    life was gradually coming to an end, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal doctor from Africa who prepares herbal cure to cure

    HIV and all kind of diseases including HIV, ALS, MND, Epilepsy, Leukemia, Asthma, Cancer, Gonorrhea, genital warts etc, at first i doubted if

    it was real but i decided to give it a try, when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he prepared an ALS herbal portion and sent it

    to me via courier service, when i received this herbal portion, he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as

    instructed, i was cured of this deadly disease within 7 days, I could not walk or talk understandably before but after i took the herbal cure

    as he instructed i regained strength in my bones and i could talk properly unlike before, I am now free from the deadly disease, all thanks

    to Dr ODI. Contact this great herbal doctor via his email oyeyetemple@gmail.com OR oyeyetemple@outlook.com or call and whatsapp at

    +2348115531558

    ReplyDelete