Saturday 28 March 2015

'I Used Cocaine But It Never Worked For Me' - Terry G

One of the most controversial artistes in Nigeria is certainly Terry G. But then, the controversies that have trailed him have in no way affected his career.

Perceived to indulge in hard substance, Terry G admitted it was actually an actress that introduced him to the use of hard drugs.

Though he didn’t mention the name of the actress while having a chat with Saturday Beats recently, the singer said it was never really his intention to get into drugs.

“People actually see me as a very bad guy, so it does not surprise me when I go to certain places and they offer me some things because they think I already indulge in them. It was a gathering of celebrities and they say when you are in Rome act like a Roman. I was offered and I did not want to be seen as the odd one out, so I indulged in it with them,” he said.Talking about the substance, Terry G said it was cocaine but he found out that it didn’t “work” for him even after he used it, so he decided to quit.

“I am the first born of my family and I felt it would not be good to continue with such. Also, God has blessed me with enough energy. My fans know me to be very energetic and I believe that anything that could slow me down can kill me. I spoke to myself because the substance normally slowed me down and I decided to stop it. While I indulged in it, nobody knew because I know how to control myself,” he said.

Terry G could remember how he quit as he said, “I cut off all relationships that I had with that set of people. We stopped communicating. I have never bought it before in my life, so it was easy to stop once I cut those people off.”

Apart from the drug issue, there was a time Terry G decided to add ‘Zuz’ to his name. A lot of people frowned at it, saying it was blasphemous.
Reacting to that, Terry G said, “That is what they think. Jesus is a name. They should make their findings, I am a child of God and I will never blaspheme. The name Jesus has been in existence even before our Lord was born. The only comma there is Christ. I cannot call myself Christ. The spelling of my name is different. It is Terry G Zuz, not Terry Jesus. But based on the fact that I love controversy, I did not mind. It is just the same way I said people should be calling me Lucifer. I knew it was going to create controversy but what I meant was ‘look see far.’ Our elders often say that what they can see sitting down, a child cannot see it even if he climbs a tree and that is what informed the name. I like thinking out of the box.”

Follow Me On Twitter & Instagram@effiongeton

No comments:

Post a Comment